Sunday, September 30, 2012

U.S. Trip


U.S. Trip
This summer my grandma called me and proposed a crazy idea. "Let’s do an entire United States of America road trip!", grandma said.

 "Ummm okay? Sure.” I hesitantly replied.

 I honestly did not believe she was serious. However, the rest of my summer consisted over the phone talking for strenuous hours about the details on our trip. My grandma just turned 70 this November and not only does she have some medical problems but I doubted her ability to save enough money to go on a road trip through the entire U.S.

Not only did I doubt my grandma but I doubted myself. Could I really raise enough money for this trip? Could I last a whole road trip just me and my grandma? Is it possible to plan a trip like this living in different states? All of these thoughts came rushing to my mind but we still have persisted with the plans putting all negative thoughts away.

As of now I'm still looking for a job but I am putting half my tutoring and babysitting money away to my trip and the other half to college. So far I've been very good at setting aside money. However, every single birthday in my family of five is within the next three months. Not to mention all the presents I have to buy holidays coming up like Christmas!!!

We have planned to take our trip right after my high school graduation which she will be down for. Sadly my grandpa can't be a part of our trip because of medical reasons. I really wanted him to come because I'm not as close with him as I would like to be and I don't get to see them as often anymore.

Yesterday, my grandma called asking rhetorically, "How long do u think the trip is going to take?"

"About two and a half maybe three and a half weeks", I replied.

"Well how does FIVE weeks sound?", she said.

Okay pause.
I was not ready for this. FIVE WEEKS!? That's a really long time. A looong vacation. A long time to spend alone with anyone. I mean even with your favorite person in the entire world; let alone your grandma. Yes grandma, I love you. But isn't that asking a little too much from anyone? 

Well, I told her yes. I don't know how I was able to spit those words out of my mouth then. Possibly, it was because I thought of my grandpa's medical problems and how my grandma isn't far down the road from him. Or maybe my motive was that this would be a once in a life time trip.

A trip that I will remember forever.






No comments:

Post a Comment